Monday, February 16, 2009

The Idiocy of Long Distance Running

This past weekend was an easy weekend for running...I only had to run 10 miles. I know some of you will think that is crazy, but I am proud to say that I am at the point where 10 miles isn't too big a deal.

But long distance running is pretty stupid at times. While running the 10 miles I guess I was focused on other pains or something else because I failed to notice something quite disturbing and disgusting. About 10 minutes after I was done I had already removed all the sweaty clothes and was in my nice clean sweats. I entered our kitchen to go make a protein shake and finally noticed that I had an uncomfortable stinging pain. It still slightly hurts today (3 days later).

It makes sense now that I think about it. I was running for an hour and a half in temperatures that ranged from 26 - 34 degrees, so it was quite cold, but this hasn't happened to me before. Some people put bandages over to prevent the rubbing and inevitable pain later...but again, I have been running for 4 years now and this has never happened.

Well, now a scab has formed right on the tip, it hurts just thinking about it. Anyways, the picture of my shirt, post-run, should explain...


Thank goodness blood rinses out in the washing machine.

No comments: